Delivering enduring project solutions for challenging places

Nash Partnership brings heritage expertise to Redland High School renovation.

Nash Partnership brings heritage expertise to Redland High School renovation. 09 Aug 2017

Nash Partnership has been appointed by Kersfield to provide architecture services for the heritage element of the proposed regeneration of Redland High School in Bristol. The plans propose a new residential development to provide 43 new homes by adapting and restoring the existing buildings along with a small element of new build development.

Working in collaboration with AWW, who are providing masterplanning and architecture for the north of the site, the team at Nash Partnership brings extensive heritage expertise to ensure the sensitive conversion and adaption of the main house, pavilions and associated buildings. This includes the restoration of Redland Court, a Grade II* listed mansion house, which will be sensitively sub-divided to form four new dwellings.

Robert Locke, Partner and Technical Director at Nash Partnership says: “This is a fantastic opportunity to restore Redland Court to a high quality and ensure the building is protected into the future. We have been working with Kersfield on a number of projects within the city that require specialist heritage expertise and are delighted to work with them again on such a significant renovation project in Bristol.”

Plans for the main house include the removal of a number of 20th century interventions to improve the legibility of the original features of the house and will include the reinstatement of the missing cupula to the east pavilion.  In addition to restoring and converting Redland Court itself, it is proposed that the existing 1960’s sports hall and east wing will be removed. These will be replaced with a new development designed to be more sympathetic and complimentary to the Palladian style design and of the main house and broader landscape setting.

Built in 1732-1735, the existing mansion house was owned by several Bristol merchants and bankers before being sold to Redland High School in 1885. The decision to move the existing school operation from Redland Court has been taken by Redland High School and school use of the site will cease from Redland Court at the end of this academic year.

« Back to News